Games, Simulations, and Virtual Worlds Kick-Off

2010-2011 Research Team Charges.pdfWhat drew you to this particular team? some exposure w/ commercial, entertainment gaming: Atari 2600, Playstation, PS2, PS3, PSP, Nintendo DS, Wii, Macintosh American role-playing, action-adventure, simulation, puzzlersgame design interestsmotivational theory What skills do you feel…

2010-2011 Research Team Charges.pdf

What drew you to this particular team?

• some exposure w/ commercial, entertainment gaming: Atari 2600, Playstation, PS2, PS3, PSP, Nintendo DS, Wii, Macintosh
  • American role-playing, action-adventure, simulation, puzzlers
  • game design interests
  • motivational theory

What skills do you feel like you are bringing to this project and which ones would you like to work on? (project management related, content related, contacts/networking related, etc.)

• organizational skills
  • brainstorming – collaborative creation
  • open minded
  • willing to extend myself
  • huge “F” – try to compensate, zealot
  • will need help with short-cuts, meeting deadlines and long-term goals

One thought on “Games, Simulations, and Virtual Worlds Kick-Off”

1. As a member of the team, here are my answers:

What drew you to this particular team?
    On the red team, we had been investigating 2nd Life as our research charge. I have spent some time in the 2nd Life environment investigating how things are being done in education with the environment. I also took a course through SLOAN-C on Intermediate 2nd Life for Educators. Additionally, I attended the Virtual World Best Practices in Education Conference. I’m also on the 2nd Life team for World Campus, headed up by Shannon Ritter. Finally, I use the wii on a daily basis as a way to better my personal fitness. I like the way it tracks my progress and think that this type of approach would be helpful for students in working on courses.

My biggest value add will be in research and developing strategies for use of virtual worlds (HLS program opportunities, mainly 530) I’m also on the team and am in contact with Shannon Ritter quite often as a way to tie into other units in World Campus. Also, I work with the IST program that has faculty that would be willing to pilot different technologies and pedagoguical strategies. For instance, I support a course taught by Brett Bixler who has a ton of experience with virtual wolds and gaming at ETS.