Publishing Transcripts for audio/video content in VoiceThread

OK, you have a VoiceThread with audio and video comments and you find out that you have a student that self-identifies they require accessibility accommodations. What do you do?First step is to transcribe the audio. There are a number of…

OK, you have a VoiceThread with audio and video comments and you find out that you have a student that self-identifies they require accessibility accommodations. What do you do?

First step is to transcribe the audio. There are a number of ways to do this. You may need to export or extract the audio first. You could pay to export the audio from VoiceThread. This is the easiest method. I’m cheap, so I used an audio loop-back cable to capture the audio as it played back in the VoiceThread. Then you need to transcribe the audio. The easiest way to do this is to use MovieCaptioner. This software is worth every penny if you have to do any transcribing.

Then, I created an “Accessibility” identity and used that identity to post text comments that were copied-and-pasted from the transcripts I had made. After that, I used VoiceThread to move the transcripts so that they were adjacent to the audio content they were related to.

Click to see an example (slide 1)