“A short pencil is better than a long memory!”

Thank you Megan Costello for sharing that with me. It was a quote that her father had shared with her.

When you write it down, you not only have it available as a reference, you also are more likely to remember it in the first place. So you’re able to absorb and act upon the information better than someone who doesn’t take notes.

So when you’re going to meet with someone – in person or on the phone – take notes! (A Short Pencil is Better than a Long Memory, By Bigg Success Staff)

Documentation of my work is an essential part of my workflow. It may not be eloquent, refined, accessible or even intelligible (no really), but I keep meticulous notes – because I have to.

I juggle so many details any given day, that if I did not document them, I would be failing in my responsibilities. If I just coded and adjusted settings all day long, that wouldn’t be as necessary. As a senior instructional designer, I’m often changing my focus from 100,000 feet down to a microscopic level of detail. It’s the rapid and constant shifting that makes it difficult to recall specifics about processes and procedures.

I mostly rely on Evernote and Google Apps for my day-to-day documentation and obviously this blog is a very important place for reflection.

2 thoughts on ““A short pencil is better than a long memory!””

1. Thank you for referencing our article! We take a lot of notes too. Of course there is digital filing for some, but we find writing down important information tends to make it stick. We are BIGG fans of file folders for notes on various topics. You are so right about the need to take notes because of rapid, constant shifting.