Questions?

Question Mark.jpgI love it.

Absolutely brilliant revision session today.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy small group teaching. You can stare into the whites of the student eyes and see if they get it. Really get it. And the students that come to revision sessions are SOOO motivated.  They are the students that deserve the huge financial subsidies their families and their futures make for their education.

For example:-
One of them got really bolshie.  “I hate these sort of questions: value judgments.” Oh yes.  Yes, yes, yes.  Now we are seriously getting somewhere.  You see something in the media about how to change your life?  You have to make judgments.  I challenge you to think rationally.  Fantastic.  And arguing back?  Doubly fantastic.
Another, the distinction between the null and the alternative hypothesis.  At one level, so simple but actually very hard at another.  Whatever, central to what we scientists sell to the public.  Best though: he asked.
And then, when I asked about the Does Prayer Heal? paper we have been discussing:  “I already get the prayer thing.  My husband prayed for a good job, and then he got one.”  Fantastic teaching moment.  The like of which I never got in Scotland.