by Leah Joann Pappas

5 more participants! That’s all I need! And that’s all I’ve needed for about a week now, and they just keep alluding me. Since it appears I have used everyone I’ll be able to with the student pool system, I’ve had to get more creative about recruiting participants, meaning that I have to overcome one of my biggest fears: students. On one hand, the people in my lab have been very helpful, emailing their friends and talking to their classes, and I have heard back from a few people that I’m working on finding a date that works for both of us. However, I still need to take my own steps to find participants, which means visiting the French classes and talking to teachers. It’s amazing how a large group of students from a foreign country can terrify me so much. Standing outside the doors to the classroom, waiting for the professor with the other students (so far the professor has been at least 15 minutes late every single time!), I try to look nonchalant acting like I fit in and secretly hoping the teacher won’t show up. But they always do, and I have to compose myself silently before creeping in to explain why I’m there. Call me chicken, but so far visiting those classrooms is the most difficult thing I’ve had to do in all my time here in Berlin. I better start hearing some responses for all of that trouble! haha

Aside from the horrible tragedy that is recruiting, life is splendid. Just this weekend, I receive three new roommates who will be living with me until the end of my stay here. Finally some consistency! And luckily they are all wonderful. The girl from München is very friendly and is always asking to go to a café or something, and the two Italian boys make us breakfast and lunch every morning and evening! I am living the life! I’ve learned not to refuse their constant offers of food, drinks, or whatever. They are insistent on sharing and won’t take “no” for an answer! Overall, it’s very nice to be living with people my own age now! And even better, they are all fluent German speakers (and the Italians don’t speak any English), so when we are all together, everything is in German. It’s so fantastic to be able to practice!
I love this city more and more. Now that I’m not running as many participants, my work is mostly coding. And since I now only have access to my lab for half of the week because of another study, I try to do a lot of coding in various parks outside. Earlier this week, I went to Tempelhof-Berlin, the American airport when the wall the was still standing. Today, it has been converted into a park. Well, maybe not converted. Nothing has changed since it was an airport. The only difference is that instead of planes taking off on the runways, people are grilling, biking, roller blading, walking their dogs, attending concerts, etc. With my computer and a blanket, I joined them. It was a very interesting place to see! Somewhat eerie to have the deserted airport and equipment looming over all of the fun. But overall an educational and cultural experience!

I also learned that Fredrick the Great was the one to introduce potatoes to Germany. Therefore the Germans cover his grave with them!