PIRE Blog Post 1 (English)

A lot has happened in the first two weeks of my PIRE experience. I spent the first week putting together my experiment and by Friday, I was ready to test. So far, I have had about 12 participants. It has actually been pretty difficult to find participants because I’m working in the linguistics department at the Institute of English and American Studies and need engineering students. I have found that the best way to get participants is through Facebook pages and word of mouth.

Now I will tell you a little bit about life in Braunschweig. Every tag, right when I wake up in the morning, I drink a cup of coffee. In the US, I drank about 1 or 2 cups per day but here in Germany I drink about 3 or 4 because the coffee in Europe is so much better and it is normal for people to drink coffee this often. If I have a participant scheduled in the morning, I will eat breakfast and go right to the office to prepare for them to come in. If I don’t have a participant until the afternoon or evening, I will go on a run to different places in Braunschweig in the morning and then begin my day. After work, I will usually either read a German book or watch a German TV-series on Netflix. I have noticed that the lifestyle in Germany is much more relaxed than the lifestyle in America and is completely different.

I have also travelled a lot and tried many different types of food during my time here. The first weekend I was here, I went to Berlin to visit my best friend from High School who had been studying there all semester. We saw a bunch of different attractions, such as the Brandenburger Tor, the Berliner Dom, and the Ninetie’s Berlin Museum. We also went shopping around the city and I spent way more money than I should have on clothes, but it was worth it. After our long day, we went to a German restaurant where we ordered Currywurst (basically a sausage with Curry Ketchup on top) and French fries. Before I came to the US, I thought I would HATE Currywurst and was scared to try it, but I actually ended up really enjoying it. Also, the French Fries in Germany are ten times better as American French Fries, which I guess makes sense, since they use potatoes so much when they cook.

I was in Berlin just for the day on Saturday, since my Friend had to fly home on Sunday morning. Because I was back in Braunschweig on Sunday, I wanted to go grocery shopping so I went into town. When I got there, I saw that everything was closed and realized that all stores in Europe are closed on Sundays for “God’s Day.” This has been pretty hard to get used to actually, since it is normal to run errands and get things done on Sunday. After this, I went back home, had cereal for dinner (since that’s all I had haha), and went grocery shopping the next morning.

The second weekend (this past weekend) I went to Paris with Sydney to visit another friend that I had met at my internship last summer. She now lives in Paris (about half a mile from the Eiffel Tower) and works permanently for a big company there. It was so nice to see her, spend the day with Sydney, and not have to pay for living accommodations. We saw many attractions that were close to the Eiffel Tower, including the Trocadero, the Arc de Triomphe, the Asembleé Nationale, the Opera, the Louve (with the Mona Lisa which was much smaller than I thought it would be), and went shopping on Champs Elusées (the big street in Paris with all of the well known shops like Louis Vuitton). We also went to many different Cafés and had such good coffee and food, like fresh Banana Bread, Avocado Toast, Salmon and Vegetables, and Crêpes. It was super fun, but we ended up walking about 15 miles and were dead by the end of the day. The next morning, we woke up at 10 am, went on a run around the Eiffel Tower, ate breakfast at a different Café, und went shopping at the local market that had fresh fruit and veggies. We didn’t have enough time to see and experience everything in Paris, but all in all it was an amazing and successful trip.

Currently, I am testing about 1 or 2 participants per day and I am looking forward to going to Amalfi Coast this upcoming weekend 🙂

PIRE Blog Post 1 (Deutsch)

Vieles hat in die erste zwei Wochen von meiner PIRE Erfahrung passiert. In der ersten Woche habe ich im Büro mein Experiment vereinbaren und am Freitag war ich bereit zu testen. Bis jetzt hatte ich ungefähr 12 Teilnehmer. Es ist schwer Teilnehmer zu finden, weil ich am Institut für Anglistik und Amerikanistik in den Sprachwissenschaften arbeite und Ingenieure brauche. Ich habe gefunden, dass der beste Weg, Teilnehmer zu bekommen, ist durch Facebook Seiten und Mundpropaganda.

Jetzt werde ich über das Leben in Braunschweig sprechen. Jeden Tag, wenn ich aufwache, trinke ich natürlich eine Tasse Kaffee. In den USA hatte ich ungefähr ein oder zwei Tassen Kaffee pro Tag, aber hier trinke ich drei oder vier, weil es so lecker in Europa schmeckt und ist normal, so viele Kaffee zu trinken. Ob ich Teilnehmer am Morgen habe, esse ich Frühstuck und gehe ich direkt ins Büro. Ob ich Teilnehmer am Nachmittag habe, werde ich herumlaufen und ein bisschen in meinem Zimmer mit meiner Yoga-Matte trainieren. Am Abend nach Arbeit lese ich ein deutsches Buch oder sehe ich deutsche Fernsehserie, wie Dark an. Das Leben hier ist sehr entspannend und komplett anders als das Leben in den USA.

Ich habe auch viel gereist und viele neue Essen gegessen. Das erste Wochenende bin ich in Berlin gegangen, um meine Freundin von High School zu besuchen. Wir haben viele Sehenswürdigkeiten gesehen, wie die Brandenburger Tor, Berliner Dom und Nineties Berlin Museum. Auch hatten wir eingekauft und ich habe zu vielen Geld ausgegeben, aber es lohnt sich. Am Ende der Tag haben wir ins Restaurant Currywurst und Pommes gegessen. Vorher habe ich gedacht, dass ich Currywurst nicht mögen werde, aber ich fand aus, dass Currywurst sehr lecker ist. Auch fand ich aus, dass die Pommes in Deutschland viel besser als die Pommes in den USA sind und das macht Sinn, weil Deutsche so viel mit Kartoffeln kochen.

Ich bin in Berlin nur für Samstag gewesen, weil meine Freundin nach Hause am Sonntag fliegen musste. Am Sonntag würde ich Lebensmittel kaufen, also bin ich in der Stadt mit dem Bus gegangen. Als ich dort ankam, waren alle die Geschäfte geschlossen. Das ist wann ich erinnert hatte, dass alle die Geschäfte in Europa am Sonntag geschlossen sind. Das ist schwer zu gewöhnen, denn in den USA jemand am Sonntag immer in den Lebensmittelgeschäften einkaufen gehen. Also musste ich für Abendessen Müsli essen und bin ich zum Lebensmittelgeschäft früh am Morgen gegangen.

Das zweite Wochenende bin ich in Paris mit Sydney gegangen, um meine Freundin, die da lebt, zu besuchen. Letzte Sommer habe ich ein Praktikum in den USA gemacht und da habe ich meine französische Freundin Amelie getroffen. Jetzt lebt und arbeitet sie in Paris für eine große Firma. Es war sehr nett, sie zu besuchen, Sydney zu sehen und auch keines für eine Wohnung oder Airbnb zu bezahlen. Sie lebt direkt in der Nähe von dem Eiffelturm, also haben wir viele Sehenswürdigkeiten in der Nähe von dem Eiffelturm besuchen, wie Trocadero, Arc de Triomphe, Asemblée Nationale, Opera Garnier, die Louvre (mit der Mona Lisa) und sind auf Champs Elusées gegangen. Wir bin auch in viele Cafés gegangen und hatten sie sehr leckere Kaffee und essen, wie frische Bananenbrot, Lachs und Gemüse und Crêpes. Es macht viel Spaß, aber wir haben etwa 15 Meilen gelaufen und waren am Ende des Tages ziemlich tot. Am nächsten Tag haben wir um 10 Uhr aufgewacht, sind rund den Eiffelturm gelaufen, ins Café gegessen und ging auf dem Markt mit frischen Gemüsen und Obst einkaufen. Wir hatten nicht genug Zeit, alles zu sehen und erfahren, aber es war eine schöne und erfolgreiche Reise.

Also jetzt teste ich 1 oder 2 Teilnehmer pro Tag und freue mich auf dieses Wochenende, weil ich zu Amalfi Coast fliegen werde.