I am so happy to announce that I have successfully run my first participant! Everything went smoothly and as expected, and I could not have had a more perfect start to my experiment. The participant told me they would also be willing to distribute my flyer to their university group chats, which I could not thank them enough for given the slow pace of my recruitment process. Otherwise, things in the lab are going well!

In my free time, I have been having wonderful experiences with food and language practice while in and around San Juan. I feel so proud of myself when I am able to have an entire conversation in Spanish, as the people here are so patient and kind when they know I am not fluent. I have been to so many small towns recently, whether after the lab or during the weekends, all of which have been beautiful. On Saturday, I went to a women’s rights march that showed me how much strength and unity the Puerto Rican community has, which was so inspiring!

I am looking forward to more conversations, more food, and more interactions with participants in my lab space. I hope everyone else is doing well too!