The second week of Mexico City is done ! This week I had a chance to really dive into what life is going to be like for the next 6 weeks. First we explored some parts of the UNAM campus. It was very interesting seeing the architecture of the buildings and explore some of the art around the campus. The campus is is huge so it was amazing to see some similarities and differences between PennState. We saw cool sculptures, buildings and art. In the open field area of the university called “Las islas”, we saw some UNAM students gather and have a K-pop dance party. It was really cool seeing people come together and have fun as well as being welcoming and creating a safe space.

Throughout the week we had a chance to be a little more involved in the psycholinguistic laboratory spaces. We met more lab members and had a chance to set up our equipment fully. Since it was our first week running participants there was, of course, some trouble with adjusting to the new spaces and making sure everything was working properly. I had my first participant on Friday. They were very patient with some of the errors and very engaged in my study.

Finally we were able to explore more of the city. We had the chance to visit the Mexico City’s National Museum of Anthropology. It was so intriguing. I am a big fan of learning about cultures and history of people, so it was an AMAZING experience. My favorite part was understanding some of the ancient religion practiced by the ancient Mayas and Aztecs. Mythology is my favorite type of literature so it was interesting to see the perception of the native culture and learning new information about some of the Deities that I have previously known.

n closing, I am super excited to start running my study and exploring more of the beautiful City,

Eslayamos ! (Our wonderful affirmation/cheer we created)