Week 11?

It is strange and a bit frustrating, I am having the opposite problem I was having a few weeks ago. It has been hard to get a native English speaker to participate in my study, and I have native Spanish speakers ready to participate. It is getting hard to stay...

read more

Florida Account

This week, I had no new participants. I was required to make an account with The University of Florida and get trained with their IRB, but I am waiting to hear back. Other than that, I started coding the data for one of my tasks. Although the data coding is somewhat...

read more

Nerves of the Upcoming Semester- Week 10

I am not going to lie, I am getting quite nervous with the lack of sessions I have been able to run/have scheduled. I was hoping to have a lot more done by this point, so I could focus on coding while I was taking classes so that I would only have to work around my...

read more

Trial and Error

To those that are reading, I realized that my last two blog posts didn’t post. I think I accidentally was saving them as a draft and not clicking publish. Trial and error. As for my update, right now I am at a standstill. I haven’t had any new participants, but I am...

read more

With Pause Comes Progress?- Week 9

Well, I got more potential participants to fill out the pre-screening survey... and no one has responded that they actually want to be a part of the study. It is a bit frustrating when you get people who fill out the survey, you pay them, and then never hear from them...

read more

A Bit of a Pause- Week 8

As predicted, I hit a bit of a pause in my data collection. Like Sunny, I have an uneven amount of participants from one group, and none in the other. I spoke with my lab at our weekly lab meeting and we decided that we would give it one more week before we switch up...

read more

Reccomendations?

Last week was another successful week, however, I am having a lot of trouble with cancellations and time zones. In my emails to schedule, I always clarify that we are running the trials in the EST time zone. My participants are from different locations and sometimes...

read more

Slowing Momentum- Week 7

Well, my prediction was sadly correct. I had a session scheduled with 2 participants on Tuesday, and after waiting for 15 minutes past the scheduled time, only one participant showed up. I cannot conduct the trial with only one participant so I had to cancel. I also...

read more

Progress

Last week was a great week for my research! I ran four participants and scheduled more for this week. There were a few mix-ups about time zones and schedules, but nothing that a few emails couldn't overcome. I also had a few issues with my research computer, but I...

read more

3 Down, 77 to go!- Week 6

I have now successfully completed 3 trials! One of my pairs of participants did cancel this week, but I was still able to run 2. In addition, one of the trials was a Spanish to English, instead of English to Spanish, which I was very nervous for. I was nervous because...

read more

Some Progress!

This week was way more eventful than the previous ones and I am so excited for it! My study and survey have successfully reached a group of people and I am moving on to testing my participants this week.  I was able to communicate and schedule over ten participants...

read more

First Trial Done, Two Cancelled- Week 5

Well, I have successfully conducted my first trial! One of my participants was a former PIRE fellow so it was so nice to get to talk to her about her experience in PIRE. Everything went as smoothly as could be expected, which I was very happy about. I had 3 trials...

read more

Zoom Fatigue

Currently, I still am in the recruitment process for my project. However, this is providing to be a challenge. Since my corpus is so specific, it is hard to find participants and I believe that Zoom fatigue is playing a role in that. No one wants to stare at their...

read more

Continuing the Balancing Act- Week 4

I think I have finally figured out the easiest way (for my participants and me!) to schedule in different time zones, with busy people. Using a site called when2meet, I am having my participants input the times they are available on a few specific days. I have had 3...

read more

Finding the Balance- Week 3

I have officially started communicating with participants! I have had a few people (and no bots!) complete a pre-screening language survey which is very exciting. They have all been extremely nice and understanding that I cannot quite schedule the study with them yet,...

read more

Weeks One and Two

Weeks one and two have been so exciting as I am preparing for my first participants! I have had many practice sessions and time to prepare for the real deal. Since I have been working in the lab since my first semester, it is crazy that the time is finally here for my...

read more

Anticipation- Week 2

With week 2 officially in the books, this is all starting to seem more achievable, but also more impossible. The more I get into practice session, and actually recruiting participants, the more little details I had not considered make it to the surface. The practice...

read more

The Beginning! Week 1

Here we go! I have officially started working on my PIRE fellowship this week and excited is a bit of an understatement. Right now, the thing I am most focused on is staying organized. With all the data I expect to start collecting soon, I have been making and...

read more