ALCTS CaMMS Cataloging Norms Interest Group seeks speakers to present at ALA Annual in Las Vegas on Saturday, June 28th, 2014 at 10:30-11:30.
Cataloging Norms Interest Group offers a forum for the exploration, communication, and exchange of ideas and best practices on the dynamics of cataloging/metadata norms and workflows in the hybrid environment.
Presentation topics should be of current interest to catalogers, cataloging managers and administrators, and be approximately 15-20 minutes in length. Additional time will be allowed for questions and discussion. Topic possibilities include:
• Evolution, definition, and functions of the catalog and cataloging norms
• Emerging concepts and implementations of “next generation catalogs”
• Cataloging and metadata in hybrid and digital libraries
• Changes in catalogers’ workflows
• Quality control and benchmarking
• How end users’ expectations and behaviors affect cataloging norms
• Metadata records and elements in different contexts
• Impact of web norms on cataloging norms
• Cataloging education/continuing education
• Cataloging department collaboration with other library units
• RDA: integration of records, training
Please email proposal abstracts to co-chairs by Friday, May 9, 2014. If you have questions, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!
Cataloging Norms Co-Chairs,
Associate Professor/Catalog Librarian
Oklahoma State University
Metadata & eResources Librarian