This one of the stupider workarounds, but given the lack of information on the Web, I thought I would share anyway. If there’s a better way to do this, let me know (after you’ve done laughing).
I can figure out how to share a Google doc with any e-mail, but I hadn’t been able to reveal the e-mail of a Doc I had already shared if they do not happen to be in my Contacts list. Here at Penn State Google Doc address are a mix of @psu.edu and @gmail.com addresses so it’s kind of a guessing game.
For instance, suppose I share a doc with W. Adama once, and I need to share another one but can’t remember the e-mail I used (may it’s a gmail address, maybe it’s not…). I could ask W. Adama, but he’s generally very busy, so I’d rather extract it from the original share list.
Short Term Solution
- Open a doc you know you shared with person X (e.g. W. Adama).
- Click the Share button on the upper right and select See who has access
- Now for the trick part – Click link for Create Event w. these people. This opens a new tab create an entry into the Google Calendar app and add everyone to it.
- From the Guests field to the right, copy the e-mail e-mail address(es) you need, then click Cancel and Discard Changes No need to add anything to anyone’s calendar.
- Close the Google Calendar tab in your browser. You should be back in your Google Doc.
- Back in Google Docs close your doc, create a new one and paste the address in your Share list.
Long Term Solution
You can add people to your Contacts list at https://docs.google.com/c/ui/ContactManager. To add a new contact, click the +Person icon at the upper left. This will show up in your contacts list when you need to share a Google doc in the future.